Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Running into Spider Webs

If you've read the previous blog, you know that Amy Jo and I didn't make our run together this morning. However, I decided to get out and run anyway. I knew I wouldn't have time for three miles, but I figured even half of that would be better than nothing.

I turned on my music and started my brisk walk to the subdivision across the street. The sun was beating down on my back, and it felt so good to be working up a sweat. I felt like I was on a good path. While adjusting to a new schedule of working full-time, my pattern of running three or four times a week had been interrupted. This was a new day, a new week, and I was getting back on track.

I started jogging, and suddenly, something caught me right across the face! The thread of a spider web stuck to my lip as I sputtered and spit, trying to grab the invisible string. I finally broke free and glanced around, hoping I didn't have any spectators.

As I continued on my run, I couldn't help but apply this spider web incident to my life. So many times, just when I think I'm on the right path--ready for a new day--Satan throws a spider web in my path. Its invisible threads bind me and keep me flailing as I try desperately to break free. These traps always seem to appear at the most inopportune times...times when I feel like I finally have it all together. I guess that's why God tells us to be prepared. In I Peter 5, we are warned that the devil is looking for people he can devour.


"Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world." (I Peter 5:8-9)

As Christians, we need to realize that there will never be a time when we "arrive" and no longer struggle with sin or shame or life's issues. As long as we live in this broken and fallen world, we will have struggles. Satan will continue to throw fiery darts our way. But God's word also tells us how to withstand the "spider webs" thrown in our path. Ephesians 6 gives us instructions for putting on the armor of God.

"Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God." (Eph. 6:10-17)

So...for me, this morning, that silly little spider web gave me a new outlook on life. There are traps all around me. Many times they are invisble. Sometimes they even appear to be good. I need to make sure that I am constantly prepared to stand against them, and the only way to do that is to be sure I am grounded in God's word.

Before I run tomorrow, I will be spending some time reading my Bible. It may not keep me from running into a spider web, but perhaps it will help me to run through one without sputtering like a fool. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Powerful lesson. Isn't He amazing to teach us incredible things through His creation? Who would have thought - a spider web of all things?

    ReplyDelete