Friday, July 29, 2011

God Keeps His Promises

Today is a special day for me.

Not only is it my sister's birthday (I prayed for a sister every night when I was 5 years old), but I just finished the last final exam of my college career (assuming I don't go back for my Master's someday). As I walked into my apartment the other night, I was welcomed by these pictures my kids made in Sunday School about a year ago.


Yes, they have been hanging in the same spot for a year, and yes, I have looked at them every single day. But this particular night as I anticipated the end of my college career, I actually saw the pictures. I was suddenly overwhelmed with the reality that God does keep His promises. Since that night, I've stopped to reflect on His promises in my life.

Two years ago when I was in the hospital recovering from second and third degree burns, I was given a calendar with scriptures for each day of the year. One of the verses that stayed with me was Deuteronomy 31:8.

"The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”

God didn't promise that my life will always be easy. In fact, Jesus said the exact opposite in John 16:33.

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

So even though I'm guaranteed to have trouble in this world, I can hold onto the promise that my Savior will never leave me. And for the last year and a half, as I've muddled my way through the chaos of being a single mom who works and goes to school full-time, I've felt His presence every step of the way. Sometimes we walked side by side. Other times, I ran ahead and He had to gently pull me back to His side. But most of the time, He carried me because I was too exhausted to walk on my own.

The realization of how far I've come hit me today. My hope in His promises has been the only thing that sustained me over the last couple years.

What promises are you clinging to today? If you're placing your hope in the promises this world has to offer, there is nothing but disappointment waiting around the bend. Put your hope in the One who keeps His promises, and He will never leave you or forsake you. Take heart, and don't be discouraged. He has overcome the world!

Remember your word to your servant,
for you have given me hope.
My comfort in my suffering is this:
Your promise preserves my life.
Psalm 119:49-50

No comments:

Post a Comment