Friday, May 6, 2011

Where's Your Hope?

Well, I've done it again. I thought I had it all figured out. I was on top of it. I knew better than that.

Have you ever put your hope in somone who let you down? Maybe you hoped they wouldn't disappoint you. Or you hoped they would change. Perhaps you hoped they would surprise you in some way. If your story is like mine, your hopes were crushed...not once, not twice, but over and over again. Maybe it wasn't even the same person each time. But somewhere along the way, we've all been disappointed when we allowed someone else to hold our fragile hopes in their hands.

I can't figure out why I do this to myself. I know there's only one place I can put my hope and never expect disappointment: in Jesus Christ. Yet, for some reason, I look for someone tangible. I hope for a divine reassurance from earthly beings. And what's even worse is the fact that I expect a different outcome when putting my hope in the hands of people and things who continually disappoint.

I'm learning. Slowly but surely, God is teaching me to continually hope in HIM! Thanks to an amazing message series by John Blythe at Living Hope, I'm being reminded once again. The only way I'll avoid disppointment on this earth is by placing my hope in the One who provided me with a living hope.

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead..." 1 Peter 1:3

This old hymn states it well:

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly trust in Jesus’ Name.


When darkness seems to hide His face,
I rest on His unchanging grace.
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.


On Christ the solid Rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand;
All other ground is sinking sand.

No comments:

Post a Comment