Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Lesson #2 from Haiti...

Have you ever sensed God speaking to your heart and telling you to do something? When I was in third grade, my mom and dad told us we were moving from Ohio to Wisconsin because they felt like that's what God wanted. I remember asking how God spoke to them, and my mom explained that he "spoke to their hearts."

I didn't understand it until I was older, but I get it now. It's kind of like a tugging deep down in my heart...something I typically try to ignore at first. I felt this tug over a year ago when my sister was planning a trip to Haiti. She organized a family mission trip, and I knew I was supposed to go. I sensed it so strongly that I bought a plane ticket. But guess what I did at the last minute! I chickened out! As the trip drew near, I got nervous. I didn't know if it would be safe. I had four kids to think about. I didn't have the rest of the money I needed for a passport or the accommodations in Haiti. Oh, trust me....I came up with plenty of excuses.

And I didn't go.

So what...right? What's the big deal?

Well, after going to Haiti in November, I realized that the result of a trip like that isn't a feeling of satisfaction. It's not about patting ourselves on the back for helping a few Haitians with building projects. It's not about congratulating ourselves on the 40 pounds of soap we were able to pass out. It's not about feeling good because we did a good deed.

No. For me, this trip was about what God taught me!

Those sweet Haitian children showed me what pure joy is all about. They giggled and laughed and didn't seem to have a care in the world.

The two pastors we worked with demonstrated pure unselfishness. They spend all of their extra time and money helping others, while they themselves are barely scraping by.

Sweet Dieney (our 12-year-old translator) taught me that I shouldn't call people crazy ("because it says that in the Bible") and that I should be happy with my fair complexion because God made me this way. (This was after Amy Jo and I mentioned that we wanted to stay in the sun so we could be dark like him.)

So, what's the big deal about not going last summer? Now that I've been to Haiti, I've realized that I missed out on some serious blessings God probably had in store for me on that trip. Because I allowed the enemy to get in my head and discourage me, I totally missed out. And even though I've experienced Haiti now, I'll never be able to get that trip with my family back. It's over and done, and I missed it.

I never want to let that happen again! I pray that my heart will always be sensitive to God's leading. I don't ever want to miss His call or the blessings he has in store when I obey that call.

What about you? Is there something God is calling you to do but you're making excuses for why it can't be done? If God's calling you, there is a way. Feel that tug and follow Him. I promise you won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment