Tuesday, January 1, 2013

My 13 for 2013...


2012. It's over. My initial reaction is: I DID IT! I made it an entire year as a self-employed full-time photographer! Not only did I survive, I thrived! I never would have succeeded without two awesome business partners and the support of my family and friends. Thank you to everyone who played a part in making 2012 the best year of my life so far...

Now on to 2013...

I've been writing this blog in my head for a few days now unsure of whether it would be a public post or just one for my own benefit. When you recognize some not-so-pleasant things that need to change in your life, it's not real comfortable to post it for all the world to see. Plus, vulnerability is just not my thing. Conversations with emotional undertones make my skin crawl... Unless I am the initiator... in which case I look at the wall, the floor, or anywhere other than the eyes of the person to whom I am speaking. (If you've ever had one of these conversations with me, you know what I'm talking about.) Hey...at least I can recognize this and have been working on it! :)

As much as I've grown in the last few years, I've realized some things about myself that I'd like to work on. Ironically, at least three friends have lovingly mentioned one or more of these things to me in the last few days. Here's my sign, right??

1. Tithe. 

I have been making excuses for 3 years... "I'm just getting back on my feet." "I'm a single mom." "I give when I can." LAME. Every single one. No more excuses. I already know my check this pay period won't cover my bills. (January is a rough month for photographers and this is why we have savings accounts! Lol.) I plan to tithe and trust.

2. Read through the Bible. 

I don't know how many times my mom has done this, but I know it's a lot. I haven't done it once. That changes this year. I'm reading every day.

3. Be quiet.

I need to unplug. Seriously. I don't like to hear what God has to say sometimes. It doesn't always go along with my plan. If I keep my head full of the stuff on my agenda (with the help of all my digital distractions), it's easy to drown Him out. Enough, Trisha. ENOUGH. I'm listening this year.

4. Write more.

I say this too often. I have plans for a book. I love to write poetry. Song lyrics, blogs, letters. I just like to write. But I don't take the time to do it. Once a week, I will write something.

5. Rekindle my first love.

I grew up surrounded by music. I think I sang my first solo in church at 4 years old. Piano lessons started at 5. School band started in 6th grade. My first guitar was under the Christmas tree in 8th grade. At some point, I assumed I had outgrown my musical superstar window and I kinda gave up on all of it. (The dream of being the next Alicia Keys had to die at some point. LOL!) But that doesn't mean I can't continue to grow and develop talents. Something you love so much, something that has made you who you are should never die. I'm buying a piano this year. Period.

6. Live in the moment. Listen wholeheartedly. 

This goes back to my digital distractions. I am the worst about not living in the moment because I'm afraid I might be missing out on something else. Having dinner with a friend and checking my phone constantly? Just plain rude! Talking on the phone and checking Facebook? Ridiculous! Watching a movie with my kids and texting friends? Sad! This year, I will be where I am and stop worrying about where I'm NOT. (And maybe I'll discover that I actually have a personality more interesting than a rock, right Walt?) :)

7. Invest in the ones who invest in me.

I take people for granted. Bottom line. I'm done casually ignoring the people who prove their value and loyalty over and over. If you're one of the people who always checks my oil, makes me smile over coffee, calls just to check on me, or listens while I vent about life, you're getting my attention this year. To the ones who have invested in me in the past and I've dropped the ball on our friendship, I'm picking the ball back up!

8. Develop my design talents.

I've discovered I'm pretty decent at designing stuff. I designed the album artwork for a friend whose 7th studio album will release in February. I'm so thankful that he took a chance on me! It's opened the doors to some other opportunities, and this year I'm going to learn more, design more, and take advantage of opportunities to do both. (Don't stop making music, T... I need more work!) :)

9. Live on less.

This year I want to make more money, live on less, and give more. This will require a budget. (My brother will help me with this one... Right, Nate? Lol.)

10. "Figure out what you want and learn how to ask for it."

This is a line from a movie, but I can't remember which one. (Danielle and April...help me out!) It stood out when I first heard it and I committed to work on it then, but I still struggle with this. I'm great about giving vague requests and hoping people will figure me out on their own. This year I'm going to ask for what I want.

11. Quality time.

My kids get the worst of me. The end-of-the-day, worn out, single mom. I'm going to start being intentional about the time I spend with them and start making every moment count. 

12. Discipline. Discipline. Discipline.

There are so many areas of my life where this needs to be applied. Eating healthier. Exercising more. Planning my day. Housework. Laundry. Dividing my time between tasks. Yikes. This will be tough but I'm committed to being more efficient by disciplining myself and staying on task.

13. Encourage.

I want to be known as someone who encourages others. I want to bring a smile to your face if you don't already have one. And if you do have one, I want it to be bigger when I walk away. I want to listen when you need an ear. I want to pray for you. I want your day to be better for having come in contact with me. Period.

These are my New Years' Improvements. (I hate resolutions.) :)




2 comments:

  1. Good stuff Trisha! You inspire me!

    Michael T. Powers
    One of your biggest fans and someone whom you have encouraged on a regular basis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressive and inspiring! I will hold you accountable to yours and hope you will do the same for me! Iron!

    ReplyDelete